RE: Tapered Steel Beam

Roger,

You are correct that this appears to be spookie.  I intend to do exactly
as you suggested about contacting EOR/AOR.  I especially appreciate the
input regarding the application in a chlorinated/wet environment.

Right now this is purely conceptual to determine if this solution is
"do-able" as an alternative to a GLB that appears to not have worked.
I'm expecting this concept to circulate through the chain of command,
and I may not even be asked to perform the design of the modified beam,
but to rather have answered the fabricators question of "...is this a
viable solution?"

Oregon also has some strange rules regarding what Architects and
Engineers may design and it is possible that an Architect performed the
original design, but does not have the expertise to evaluate a modified
steel beam as was proposed.  I don't know all the specifics yet, but
wanted to post the question to hear back from the list.  I also expected
some comments regarding the legal, liability side of such an odd
request.

Do you have any suggestions for how to treat the steel to avoid the
corrosion (other than hot-dipped galvanizing)?

Regards,

Bill Marczewski