Re: grouting requirements for fire resistant CMU

While I am not fire rating expert, I don't believe the code dictates
things like grouted vs. not grouted directly.  The code dictates a
requirement in terms of an hour rating (i.e. how long the item should be
in place during a "code level" fire before failing).  It is then the
designer's responsibility to select a wall material type that will meet
that hour rating.  This is generally done by selecting a standard wall
assembly that has been tested and "approved" for a particular hour rating.
Such testing and "approval" is typically in the form of a U.L. testing
number (U.L. = Underwriters Lab if I recall correctly...a private company
that has testing many varieties of various assemblies for fire
resistance).

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI