grouting requirements for fire-resistant walls

Dear Sir or Madame:

Fire resistance for masonry walls involves 2 steps.
    1.  UBC requires a specific  'equivalent solid thickness' to qualify for a particular fire rating.
    2.  Determine if the grouting you specify gives you the 'equivalent solid thickness'.  'Reinforced Masonry Design' by Schneider, 3rd Edition Table 7-4 gives the 'equivalent solid thicknesses' for several grouting patterns.

E-mail me privately and I can Fax you the tables.

With Joy & Hope,
Bob Freeman, Architect
Structural Designer
Integrated Design Services, Inc.