From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2003 9:37 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Tapered Steel Beam

Bill,

Your situation gets spookier and spookier.

At this point, I would insist that a complete set of the bidding
documents be
provided to see what was specified.  I would also contact the SEOR or
AOR and
find out what he/she was considering in performing the design.

Aquatic Center ---> enclosed swimming pool?

I was called out many years ago because of distress in a PEMB
constructed
over a swimming pool.  A suspended ceiling was hung from the PEMB
structure
and the suspension wires had pulled thru the steel flanges which had
rusted
thru due to the chlorine laden moisture created by the water in the
swimming
pool.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Bill Marczewski wrote:

. > Mike:

. > Thanks for your input.  I don't believe this beam will be subject to
. > fatigue as it clear spans in the roof of an aquatic center.  I also
. > asked why the original design engineer doesn't approve this
. > modification.  Here's the response I was given.  The steel
fabricator is
. > under contract from a pre-engineered wood truss company who thought
they
. > could span the 56' with a glue-lam beam.  Guess it didn't work and
the
. > truss company hired a local steel/welding company who then contacted
me.
. > Since my first posting, I have now been asked to verify the W21x147.
. > live in a relatively rural county that has some odd construction
. > practices, and sometimes frightening design solutions are presented
by a
. > variety of local consultants (PE's and Non-PE's).  I'm the first
. > structural engineer that has settled in this community, so I expect
. > have some headaches associated with construction means, methods,
. > procedures and techniques.

. > Bill S. Marczewski, P.E.