From: Robert Freeman [mailto:robert.freeman(--nospam--at)idsse.com]
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 4:15 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: fire resistance rating of CMU

Dear Jim:

3 things.
    1.  Amrhein is the "guru" of masonry design.  You have a very strong point, however:
    2.  Schneider does not make that footnote in Table 7-4 excluding the values when calculating fire resistance ratings.
    3.  NCMA publishes TEK reports.  NCMA-TEK 35-B titled 'Fire Safety with Concrete Masonry'.  This may be available On-Line.  There may be a newer version (with a different number) than the 1984 one I have.

With Joy and Hope,
Bob  Freeman, Architect
Structural designer
Integrated Design Services, Inc.