Swimming Pool Roof Beams--was: Tapered Steel Beam

Bill Marczewski wrote:

. > Roger,

. > What was the solution to repair/replace these damaged beams?  Does
. > anybody else on the list have recommendations for material selection
of
. > roof beams covering swimming pools?  Thanks.

. > Bill Marczewski

Yeah, good question.  I've never considered glulam a good candidate
because of the obvious high moisture concerns, although I guess if the
moisture content is constant it might be OK.  Would you then put wood
decking between the beams?  I've heard bad things about trying to use
Tectum panels in such an application (they soften and sag).

I would be really afraid of steel beams unless they're galvanized (bolts
and all) with no field welding, drilling, or other modification
permitted.

I've always thought the best solution was precast double-T's.

Anyone have any comments?

Mike Hemstad, P.E.
TKDA
St. Paul, Minnesota