RE: Column Anchor Bolt Placement

Not to mention tying into the slab with reinforcing if there is one
available.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Marczewski [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)bsmstructural.com]
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2003 9:41 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Column Anchor Bolt Placement

Roger,

I don't much like the thought of OSHA regulating the practice of
engineering.  My thoughts on the requirements of the mandatory 300lb
eccentric load (e=18") and minimum of four anchor bolts is that this is
purely about stability.  I have seen many base plates for columns with
only two anchor bolts, and this appears to have been unsafe during
erection practices.  It has been my understanding that the 300lb load
simulates an iron worker and the 18" of eccentricity are an estimated
distant that the ironworker may reach out/over/or (?) and the desire is
to have a stable base without the column "rolling-over" on the worker.
One might ask why an ironworker is on top of a single column, but that's
a different topic.  I thought this was why we needed to add four anchor
bolts per column.  Am I wrong?

Now regarding their location with respect to the steel column section or
baseplate, I think I would make certain my anchor rods could withstand
the tension loading from the 300lb eccentric load.  This shouldn't be
hard to accomplish with typical steel framing techniques.

Bill S. Marczewski
BSM Structural, LLC
Astoria, Oregon