RE: Column Anchor Bolt Placement

Bill,

You will get no argument from me.  Yes, it is to provide construction
stability during construction so that it will not tip over when an ironworker
with a belt full of spud wrenches climbs an unsupported column and grabs on a
swinging beam that is going to connect to the column.  But is that the SEOR's
responsibility?

IIRC, the AISC Code of Standard Practice requires the SEOR to design the
foundation and the anchor rods.  But, we put in 4 anchor rods now because
OSHA, not the design, requires it.   Now, OSHA says the contractor is
responsible for hiring an engineer to determine that the anchor rods *and*
the base plate are capable of supporting the eccentric loading of said
ironworker.  At what point is the SEOR responsible for the anchor rod
connection to the foundation and where does the contractor's responsibility
begin?  Who changes, if necessary, the anchor rod, base plate, welding
details on the project plans?  When is OSHA going to mandate that the base
plate/anchor rods also resist the banging from that beam that is being
connected to the column?  (Has anyone seen a beam that has not banged into a
column during erection?)

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Bill Marczewski wrote:

. > Roger,

. > I don't much like the thought of OSHA regulating the practice of
. > engineering.  My thoughts on the requirements of the mandatory 300lb
. > eccentric load (e=18") and minimum of four anchor bolts is that this is
. > purely about stability.  I have seen many base plates for columns with
. > only two anchor bolts, and this appears to have been unsafe during
. > erection practices.  It has been my understanding that the 300lb load
. > simulates an iron worker and the 18" of eccentricity are an estimated
. > distant that the ironworker may reach out/over/or (?) and the desire is
. > to have a stable base without the column "rolling-over" on the worker.
. > One might ask why an ironworker is on top of a single column, but that's
. > a different topic.  I thought this was why we needed to add four anchor
. > bolts per column.  Am I wrong?

. > Now regarding their location with respect to the steel column section or
. > baseplate, I think I would make certain my anchor rods could withstand
. > the tension loading from the 300lb eccentric load.  This shouldn't be
. > hard to accomplish with typical steel framing techniques.