Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Question Regarding initial eccentricity of walls...[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: Question Regarding initial eccentricity of walls...
- From: "Gulbrandsen, Peter W" <PGulbrandsen(--nospam--at)bonestroo.com>
- Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 15:32:36 -0500
Title: Question Regarding initial eccentricity of walls...
I am designing an assumed 8” thick, 12’ tall, and 50’ long reinforced concrete wall with #5 bars @ 12” both ways. I am trying to calculate the design strength of the wall with an approximate 20 psf wind load (bending), 90 psf dead load (axial), and 40 psf live roof load (axial).
I am going through the ACI 318-02 (especially example on 21-12) notes and can’t figure out how to calculate the initial eccentricity (Mu/Pu) and therefore the final eccentricity of the wall. I am having trouble because I need an eccentricity for the factored load combinations (Mu), and if [eccentricity = (Mu/Pu)] then I will have separate eccentricities for each load combination. Furthermore, if I change the eccentricity for each load combination the (Mu/Pu), which I believe is the eccentricity, changes. The values also don’t seem to converge like I thought they might.
Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
- Prev by Subject: RE: Question regarding combined axial and bending on wall
- Next by Subject: questions about 3D modeling software for steel structures
- Previous by thread: Re: Uplift resistance : edit the following line
- Next by thread: Re: Exterior elements