Re: Membrane Over Concrete Surfaces

Better to look up CTI and AINSI specs relative to floor tile installation over slabs-on-grade.
Dennis, I have researched this topic at length on previous cases but it is not fresh in my mind (or hard drive)
at this very moment. I remember that the Tile industry and ACI (or was it PCA) came together to address
bond failures of early thin set adhesives. This was decades ago. There was a range of issues (as I loosely remember):
1) shift from full mortar bed to thinset method (sudden new building stock of slab foundation homes!)
2) problems in formulation of thin set mortars
3) problem of moisture, capillary break and resulting effect on bonded (thin-set) installation methods
4) problem of early installation of over 'green' slabs (shrinkage issues and moisture)
5) CTI studies of bonded membranes vs. adhered membranes (float your membrane or bond to substrate)

The background is perhaps interesting, but if you are merely looking for a current spec, try both the Ceramic Tile Institute
and AINSI sites.

Regards,
Steven A.
Los Angeles

John Rose wrote:

  Dennis, do a Google or Yahoo search for crack isloation membranes.  Laticrete (www.laticrete.com) makes a good one.  These products are often used when ceramic tile flooring is placed over concrete slabs for new or repair work.John RoseAPA-RetiredTacoma, WA John Rosejrose36(--nospam--at)earthlink.net ******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* *** * Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp * * This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers * Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To * subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to: * * http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp * * Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you * send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted * without your permission. Make sure you visit our web * site at: http://www.seaint.org ******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********