RE: Gallery Walls

Why don't you have the Owner weigh the heaviest items? Get together with the Owner and Architect and mutually decide how much additional load to add for any larger future displays that are anticipated from other museums. You then should show that weight prominently on your drawings and make the Owner and Architect aware of the weight that you mutually agreed to design for.

Jim K.
-----Original Message-----
From: Cratylus Consulting Group [mailto:cratylus(--nospam--at)earthlink.net]
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2003 12:37 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Gallery Walls

Mark,
Since when does the engineer worry about decorative contents that may rotate every season.
Seams to me the architect and curator should carry some of the 'load'.
However, a Rodin sculpture could weigh a ton; and little Degas bronze just a few pound!
More, the Blue Boy is no bigger than a telephone book; but a contemporary Liechtenstein may
have an aspect ratio of a good sized shear wall!
Good opportunity to put aside all those LRFD guides and enjoy the pricey art books on the coffee table...

Steven A.
Los Angeles

Mark Hickey wrote:

I would be grateful for any assistance that I receive.
I am the structural engineer for a proposed art gallery
The walls of the art gallery will be structural steel with cold formed steel studs and an 18mm (3/4") ply cladding into which the hangars for the art work will mount.

I can't get anything out of the client or the architect on likely hanging loads and I am a bit concerned about support of the studs as they will need to span approximately 3m (10ft).

If anyone has suggestions on typical loadings,  I can design a system and set some limits
Would also appreciate comments from anyone who has done this sort of thing
Regards
Mark Hickey
Brisbane Australia

---