Eccentricity in Single plate conn - Re: seaint Digest for 14 Jun 2003

The single plate connection forms a semi-rigid connection which attracts moment from the rotation of the beam end.  The guideline for the eccentricity accounts for this rigidity, which increases as the depth of the connection increases.  You can compare it to the double clip angle connection, which is more flexible and does not induce as much moment from the beam rotation.

Ed Haninger

In a message dated 6/14/03 11:29:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time, admin(--nospam--at)seausa.org writes:

Subj: seaint Digest for 14 Jun 2003
Date: 6/14/03 11:29:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time
From: admin(--nospam--at)seausa.org
To: ehaninger(--nospam--at)aol.com
Sent from the Internet

.

1                 Message:0001               1
From: G Vishwanath <gvshwnth(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>
Subject: Eccentricity in Single plate shear connections.
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

Consider a Steel beam connected to the flange or web
of a column using a single shear plate.

While determining the number of bolts required, the
eccentricity must be taken into account.
This is understandable.

I would like to believe the eccentricity must be
measured between the bolt line and the weld line.
This would normally be about 2 1/2 " or thereabouts.

But the Aisc Ninth edition Vol I in the chapter on
Single plate shear Connections, instructs us to
consider eccentricity  based on the number of rows of
bolts. (n x 1 inches) (See page 4-52)

What has the number of rows of bolts got to do with
eccentricity?

In deep beams we may provide 9 or 10 rows of bolts.
Must we consider 9" or 10" eccentricity ? Even if the
shear plate is only about 4" wide?

Any opinions or advice is welcome.
Charlie, are you there?
.