Maximum Aggregate Size

ACI 211.1-91 gives the maximum aggregate size as 3/4 of the clear spacing between reinforcing bars and between reinforcement and formwork.

California practice commonly uses 1" max aggregate size. This means you would need to space reinforcing bars and have clear cover of at least 1.33" (say 1.5"). Slabs typically require 3/4" minimum (or 1" minimum for a higher fire rating).

Is there a problem with allowing a 1" max aggregate size but keeping a 3/4" cover? This seems to be the standard practice and I am not aware of any problems with it.