From: ±è¿µÈ£ [mailto:shotgun(--nospam--at)kopec.co.kr]
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2003 6:08 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Maximum Aggregate Size

In fact, ACI 211.1-91 is not limiting the max. aggregate size related to the dimension between reinforcement and formwork.
ACI 318 sect. 3.3.2 also states nominal max. aggregate size.
"Clear spacing between reinforcement and formwork(Cover Depth)", is not applicable for determining the max. appregate size.
In slab, formwork will be filled by vertical direction of placing, not by horizontal movement.
In vertical member, no one places concrete in between reinforcement and formwork.
Basically, max aggregate size depends on the narrowest member size and spacing of rebars.
In thin member, spacing of rebars between near face and far face could be critical.
Use of larger size as practical is always recommended so as to decrease the demend of cement content