Sent: Monday, June 16, 2003 7:32 PM
Subject: Drill and tap for A490 bolt

I have a connection for a client that requires a "blind" connection using 1" dia. A490 bolts.  Is it possible to develop the design strength in shear and tension of this bolt by drilling and tapping one of the plys of connection material?  The material is 1" minimum A572 Gr50 plate.

How do I determine the capacity of this type of connection?
Would the plate material have to be hardened?
Any design guidelines available?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
William (Bill) Pulyer PE