Re: RFP Reinforcing

Charles,

I am guessing you mean "FRP" reinforcing (i.e. plastic rebar).  If this is the case then you can find detailed information in ACI 440R-96 (Reapproved 2002) and ACI 440.1R-01.

On the design side, the issues are that the strengths are very high but with little ductility.  The stress-strain curves are very straight then, boom, it breaks.  This requires a different design proceed than we are normally use to with steel reinforcements.  The other design issue is that these products normally have a very low modulus of elasticity compared to steel so deflection can be a real problem for elevated structures.  The coefficient of thermal expansion between FRP and concrete can be another issue.

On the installation side, the big problem is that this stuff can not be field bent.  Typically you have straight bars and put them together with pre-manufactured "L" or corner bars.  This can make certain applications very congested.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

Charles.F.Canitz(--nospam--at)nab02.usace.army.mil

06/17/2003 09:46 AM
Please respond to seaint