BOLT TENSION/TORQUE RELATIONSHIP

Christopher,

Appreciate for the references and guidance. Thanks.

Savsksa

>1.  I need to tension an ASTM A490 bolt to a certain value (somewhat
of a
>hypothetical question).  I need to calculate the torque required to
>achieve this tension.  Could someone tell me how to calculate the
torque?
The relationships are a little complicated to write up here. Get hold
of
a copy of Shigley's machine design text or a mechanical engineering
handbook to explain all the caveats. You can go through the motions
using
<http://www.norbar-usa.com/ttc/. but if you don't know what you're
doing
you need to be very careful as there are a lot of judgement calls.
<http://www.steelstructures.com/SBH/SBH%20torque.htm> is another web
page
with some information to get you started. If you don't understand the
caveats you really ought to find someone who does.

>2.  Do I need to worry about pre-tension?  If yes, will pre-tension
need
>to be considered in the equation in item 1 above for calculating the
torque?
You're already worrying about pre-tension--that's what torqing the bolt
is supposed to provide. Give some serious thought to doing some
in-depth
reading about the subject before someone gets hurt...

Christopher Wright P.E.    |"They couldn't hit an elephant at
chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com        | this distance"   (last words of Gen.