Corrosion damage / Earthquakes

A follow-up on another conversion that has gotten me thinking:

Corrosion of reinforcing steel is usually more of a serviceability (cracking, rust-staining) issue than  a structural (safety) issue.

Corrosion damaged reinforcement could possibly be a very significant issue during seismic (or wind) loading, however.  I'm not sure how often loss of cross-section of the steel is an issue, given that corrosion is usually pretty slow but loss of bond between the concrete and steel  could be important - you might have essentially unreinforced members over a great length.  In addition,  loss of stiffness of the concrete member at critical locations could be important.

Have there been any good papers on these issues following recent (or not so recent) earthquakes?

The papers/presentations I have seen have mostly focused on poor design practices and/or poor construction practices.  I haven't seen that much that looks specifically at the issue of corrosion damage,  other than in very general terms.

Gail Kelley