Re: Corrosion damage / Earthquakes

Gail,

        Corrosion may make its first appearance as a serviceability problem but if left unchecked it will also progress to the point where it becomes a safety problem.  A good case in point is that of parking structures subjected to salt.

        I have attended presentations where the corrosive deterioration of parking structures was the topic of the day.  One photograph which particularly impressed me showed some "heavier equipment" that a contractor had brought in to help remove delaminated concrete; it had apparently fallen through several floors!

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson

GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

A follow-up on another conversion that has gotten me thinking:

Corrosion of reinforcing steel is usually more of a serviceability (cracking, rust-staining) issue than  a structural (safety) issue.

Corrosion damaged reinforcement could possibly be a very significant issue during seismic (or wind) loading, however.  I'm not sure how often loss of cross-section of the steel is an issue, given that corrosion is usually pretty slow but loss of bond between the concrete and steel  could be important - you might have essentially unreinforced members over a great length.  In addition,  loss of stiffness of the concrete member at critical locations could be important.

Have there been any good papers on these issues following recent (or not so recent) earthquakes?

The papers/presentations I have seen have mostly focused on poor design practices and/or poor construction practices.  I haven't seen that much that looks specifically at the issue of corrosion damage,  other than in very general terms.

Gail Kelley