Concrete Slab Connection

I wanted to ask if it is common practice to specify a polystyrene sleeve
over the first 12? of a hairpin-type reinforcement bar that ties the wall
footing into a concrete slab. I saw the detail used in an example problem in
the book ?Masonry Structures?, by Drysdale. It seems like a good idea to
allow some settlement of the slab from the footing while still reducing the
effective wall height. Since I could not find any other information on this
practice, I wondered if anyone could provide any direction or feedback.

Thank You,
Mark Seifried, EIT