Matrix Stiffness Method with Spreadsheets

I'm tired of the inefficiency of transferring data back and forth
between my FEA program (RISA) and Excel.  I have to use the FEA program
to get the member results for things like continuous roof or floor
beams, and have to use the spreadsheet to put in all the load work-ups
and other commentary you need to have in the calcs.  Is there a simpler
way for "simple" things like 2-D continuous beams?

Can you write the matrix stiffness method into Excel?  Are there any
references for this?

Or what would be the best FEA program to integrate with Excel?

What about Mathcad?  I tried it for other things and frankly got tired
of it's tendency to crash if you put too many spreadsheets or other
program objects into it.

Ed Tornberg, PE
Blazer Industries, Inc.