RE: Matrix Stiffness Method with Spreadsheets

Ed-

I agree with all of your points, especially for small models (single bay
braced and moment frames, etc.)

You only need to learn two new functions in Excel:

MINVERSE and MMULT

These two functions take the inverse of a matrix (Excel calls 'em
arrays) and MMULT multiplies two matrices. Once you highlight the
regions you want to operate, then, instead of just hitting the "enter"
key, hold down the "control" and "shift" keys while you press the
"enter" key. Some wizards have suggested that it helps to close one eye
and stick your tongue out just right, but I have yet to see the benefit
of this.

Second, you can learn enough about matrix structural analysis in a
weekend if you get the book creatively titled "Structural Analysis", by
Russell C. Hibbeler, 3rd Ed. Chapters 13, 14 and 15 are all you need to
study.

Happy vectorializing!

Regards,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
V/F (949) 248-8588
San Juan Capistrano, CA