Re: Matrix Stiffness Method with Spreadsheets

Ed,

        It's possible to develop matrix solutions for structural problems
within some spreadsheet programs.  Whether Excel is one of those programs
or not I don't know.  If you want ot try this I can recommend a textbook,
"STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS, A Unified Classical And Matrix Approach" by A Ghali
and A.M. Nevil, published by Chapman and Hall; it's a good reference even
if you don't want to do this.

        I would suggest, however, that you will find this (matrix) task
much more bothersome than your present approach.  If you really want to
develop your own programs you might want to try moment distribution
analysis for your simple problems: it's simple; it's direct, and it's as
accurate as the number of iterations you choose to use.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson