RE: Butler Building circa 1982

Title: Message
From the information you have provided here it sounds like the original building is most likely a Butler Landmark(tm) Building System.  (FYI, there is currently a Landmark 2000 tm system that replaces this older system)

The Landmark System consisted of open web main frames resisting the lateral forces with fixed based windpost resisting the longtudinal forces.  Roof framing would most likely be Butler Truss Purlins (a.k.a. cold-formed bar joist Mfg by Butler, versus a conventional bar joist). Here is some general information regarding the bracing system from an outdated (1999) spec that I have (from the Landmark(tm) Structural System Specifications (Form 3348-9/99):

""
    D. Bracing
        1. The main frame shall be designed using pinned-base sidewall columns framing into the beam trusses with a knee brace for lateral load resistance.
        2. All endwall posts shall be fixed base, and shall not require roof and sidewall brace rods when endwall members, as specified by this building manufacturer, are used.
        3. For limited conditions, a wind strut, consisting of a box strut member and two brace rods, is used to transmit the reaction of the intermediate sidewall column to the main frame.
        4. Beam truss knees, flange braces, purlin braces, wind struts, sag rods, etc., shall be installed as specified by the erection drawings.
""

Not that it matters for this particular building but the current Landmark 2000 system typically does not have open web frames, and would be more likely to have roof and wall brace rods rather than the fixed base endwall posts (although this is still an option).

If you need more information about this type of building or more information regarding that specific building then let me know and I will attempt to set you up with the appropriate person/persons or information.

HTH,
Greg Effland, P.E.
Butler Manufacturing Company - Buildings Division
KC, MO USA

-----Original Message-----
From: YI [mailto:YI(--nospam--at)summit-sr.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2003 12:04 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Butler Building circa 1982

I was looking at a Butler building (according to the owner) circa 1982, the lateral system in the transverse direction consists of two built-up columns with a 3'-deep joist girder, bottom chord bolted to the column inside flanges.  On the longitudinal direction, I can't find any bracings, and I didn't see any roof bracing neither anywhere.  The roof framing is bar joists at 5' on center.  I'm assuming the roof and wall metal panels are used to provide diaphragm capacity.  Does anyone know for if all those type of buildings built during that time were like that?  or did the contractor just forgot to install the cable bracing?

Y i  Y a n g  P.E.
Summit Engineering
Santa Rosa, California