Re: Corrosion damage / Earthquakes

In a message dated 6/18/2003 9:16:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time, njineer(--nospam--at)att.net writes:

International Concrete Repair Institute  [Sterling Virginia] publishes Concrete Repair Bulletin.  Aberdeen Group [Addison Illinois] publishes Concrete Repair Digest.  I've found both helpful in the past -- I'm not a current subscriber to either.

Actually,  I believe the Concrete Repair Digest folded quite some time ago.  Aberdeen used to publish Concrete Construction magazine as well but sold it to Hanley-Wood (the World of Concrete people) a couple of years ago.  The quality of the magazine has suffered considerably.  At this point, it is basically just an advertisement for Dodge trucks.

Also,  International Concrete Repair Institute (ICRI) has now moved to Chicago,  and is being run by ACI.   My (personal) opinion is that very few of the articles in the ICRI magazine are worth reading.  There is no technical review of what is published.   Some of the articles by engineers who advertise themselves as "repair experts"  are proof that experience does not guarantee expertise, or even minimal understanding of corrosion.  There was one article that indicated that hydrogen embrittlement in post-tensioning tendons was caused by water dripping over the anchors.  There was an article on parking garage deterioration this past January that indicated corrosion was less severe in hot, humid environments.

Gail Kelley