Re: Tack Welds

I assume that your "tack weld" is probably a fillet weld with a length
pretty close to its nominal size.  Per the AISC Specifications (LRFD J2.2b,
ASD J2.2b): The minimum length of a fillet weld is 4 times the nominal
size.  Otherwise, the size of the weld shall be considered to be 1/4 the
length.

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor, Aliso Viejo, CA
rick.drake(--nospam--at)fluor.com
949-349-5791

*********

                      "Caldwell, Stan"
                      <scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.co      To: 'SEAINT Listserv' <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
                      m>
                      06/20/03 09:18 AM        cc:
                      Please respond to
                      seaint                   Subject:  Tack Welds

It has always been my understanding that tack welds are temporary welds
that should not be relied upon for the permanent connection of structural
members.  In addition, since tack welds are not prequalified, their
strength cannot be calculated, and must be determined through an approved
(by the EOR) program of load tests on actual welds made at the jobsite at
the start of construction.

Nevertheless, I have recently been asked to calculate the reliable shear
strength (allowable or ultimate) of 1/8 in. diameter tack welds connecting
two small angles (open-web steel joist chords and bridging).  As far as I
can tell, there are no provisions for this in either AWS or AISC.  I am
about to conclude that these welds have no reliable strength.  Am I missing
something?

This is not an academic question, as it is about to become the central
issue in a $4.3 million lawsuit (I am neither plaintiff nor defendant).

Thanks in advance for your brilliant responses!

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas
at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp * * This email was sent to you via
Structural Engineers * Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server.
To * subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to: * *
http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp * * Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org.
Remember, any email you * send to the list is public domain and may be
re-posted * without your permission. Make sure you visit our web * site at:
********

the views of the company.