Re: Tack Welds

>I am about to conclude that these welds have no
>reliable strength Am I missing something?
Your conclusion is correct. ASME Code Rules do no allow incorporation of
tack welds in vessel seam welds and when they are removed the surface
must be ground to remove all traces of the tack weld.

The chief reason is that tack welds are temporary and very few welders
take much care in laying them down. Small welds are also more susceptible
to cracking and don't have much in the way of sound weld metal between
the ends. Tack welds have no reliable shear strength--even a tiny
imperfection will invalidate any engineering analysis.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw