Re: Tack Welds

Stan,
Am I understanding correctly, that this case is about the welds of joist
bridging to the joist chords?  I never thought about this being a
serious source of liability before, so I would be interested in hearing
more. On a lot of jobs I visit during construction, the joist bridging
is not even anchored at the ends until I write it up in my site visit
report, but I never thought of paying much attention to the welds of the
bridging angles to the joist chords until you mentioned this case.

I know that in lawsuits, one issue can cause the original problem and
then the lawyers hire engineers to scrutinize everything and collateral
issues get brought in. Was this the case here? It's hard to imagine a
$4.3 million lawsuit solely about joist bridging.

Rick Burch
Columba, SC