Re: 10/lw factor....why can't we get along?

Joe,

Ha!  The joke is on you!! You thought that we would have something logical
like one standardized code for the entire US?!?  ;-)

You had to know that someone would come along an change the best laid
plans!  It makes too much sense to have one code!

On a more serious note, in theory, there should be VERY little difference
between the IBC and NFPA 5000 when it comes to the structural provisions.
The NFPA is supposedly adopting the reference standards with basically no
modifications (at least that was their original intent).  This should mean
no modifications unless it goes through the appropriate standards
committee (i.e. ACI 318 for concrete stuff, ASCE 7 for load stuff, etc).
The IBC is getting much closer to such a way of doing things.  Supposedly,
they are also trying to minimize changes after one of the reference
standards has been completed by the various groups and then adopted into
the IBC.

Thus, in theory, the IBC and NFPA structural provisions should be nearly
identical.  Now, the other parts of the codes might still be messy, but we
just let the mechanical engineers, electrical engineers and architects
worry about that!! ;-)

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI