From: Dave Langhone [mailto:prcengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2003 1:40 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Matrix Stiffness Method with Spreadsheets

I agree with most people that writing your own matrix routine is flexible. Excel has powerful functions to do matrix manipulations, but taking care of restraint conditions, strong vs. minor axis orientation and different load types (load vectors) can be cumbersome to handle. Ed had asked if there were other software. We use STAAD/Pro 2003 and it has a Visual Basic editor inside of it that allows you to write your own macros to extract results into Excel or even add your own routines into STAAD. I have spent the last few months reading about VB and VBA and it really has helped in extracting data from STAAD and dumping it into Excel. I think macros are the way to go for ultimate flexibility because a general software like STAAD does not produce all the results I need (or in the format I want) nor do I expect it to.

-Dave
PRC Engineers

Do you Yahoo!?