RE: Tack Welds

This reminds me of an incident in this area where some joists failed.  I got the story from the
fabricator who made the new replacement joists.

It seems that three joists which had been in place for 20 years failed due to a heavy snow load.  They
had just been tacked and final welds were never made.  They came down in a kitchen area in the late
evening and nobody was hurt.

The engineer who designed the new joists increased the size of all the joist members even though it was
an obvious failure of the tack welds.  In effect, locking the barn door after the horse escapes.

Gary Hodgson, P.Eng.
Niagara Falls, ON