RE: gunite pool

Thanks, Eric for clarifiying your statement.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Eric Green wrote:

. > OK, I was simplifying a bit. Sulfur may not be bad but sulfuric acid is.
. > The hydrogen ions from any acid will directly attack the CaOH,
. > increasing the rate of leaching. At higher concentrations of hydrogen
. > ions, the C-S-H component of concrete will be attacked, forming silica
. > gel. The sulfate ion portion of sulfuric acid will participate in
. > sulfate attack. Sulfate attacks take many forms, including gypsum
. > corrosion, sulfoaluminate corrosion, magnesium-gypsum attack and
. > magnesium corrosion.

. > Thus, sulfuric acid attacks by multiple methods and is a particularly
. > bad actor around concrete.