Re: ICBO Approvals - was why can't we get along

Gail
I fell into the notion that ICBO was a testing agency early on in my life
as a plan checker.  The one thing one to clarify is that ICBO is a listing
service only for products tested by an approved testing agency.  The ICBO
evaluation report criteria develops a method to which these products are
approved and more often than not the values approved for listings are
smaller than what the manufacturer would like you to believe since the
testing protocol is generally done in controlled condition and not real
life, friday afternoon just before quitting time condition.  You get what I
mean.  Thus most of us Californian rely on ICBO to limit allowable values
say for a product that includes a safety facotr or specifically a condition
of approval like special inspection etc etc.  a good example of that would
be the allowable values in epoxy anchors especially as it relates to
seismic criteria.  Please note, some jurisdiction would limit the value for
an epoxy anchor to one half of that listed by the testing agency to account
for the fact some of the original results were published on a static
refer to when the glass block were popular in California architecture, many
builders and designers came forward to tell us how great the glass block is
and how it meets the fire resistive  criteria for 3/4 hour or one hour.
However, when you look at the ICBO repot, it validates this only when used
in a steel frame set in masonry wall.  that was the test protocol but the
builders would like to have any one believe that just the mere use of glass
block was good for 3/4 or one hour.  Please know that I am citing a
condition for clarification not to imply that Glass block producers have
not since that time did additional testing to prove their product safety.
I am just stating it for example only. Sorry for the long message. Hope
that helps.

Samir Ghosn, P.E.
Harris & Associates