Re: FOOTINGS SUBJECT TO UPLIFT

John,

The moment at the top of the footing will be the moment due to the weight of the footing, soil and slab (and any other surcharge) minus the moment due to the net bearing pressure (if any).  I've found that this moment is ususally small enough that it doesn't require top reinforcing.  I think you're on the right track.

Tripp Howard, P.E.

John Nader <johnenader(--nospam--at)msn.com> wrote:
How do you go about finding a top footing moment, due to uplift.  I am trying not to use top reinforcment in the footing and depend only on satisfying the equation   Mn = 5 (fc')^1/2 S.

Does the uplift value  matter ?

Can I just use the weight of the footing, the soil and the slab above the footing to find the moment.

Thanks in advance for your in put.

John

Tripp Howard

Do you Yahoo!?