Swimming Pool and Rebar/Anchor Bolt Corrosion in Adjacent Foundation

I've looked at a residence with horizontal cracks in the foundation stem walls, varying from hairline to 1/4"+, visible from the crawl space.  Also visible from the crawl space and from the outside perimeter of the house: vertical hairline cracks at anchor bolts at the tops of stem walls.  The house is about 40 years old.  Corroded rebar is visible in areas where the rebar is close to the vertical face of a stem wall and the surface has popped off; rust-color can be seen deep in the largest of the horizontal cracks.  There is a swimming pool near one side of the house.

This is the second house of about the same era, each with a nearby swimming pool, that I've looked at with this condition.  The owner of the first one was trying to get insurance money for earthquake damage for the cracks and was not interested in my stated opinion on their cause.  The more recent case owner wants to know what to do about the cracks.

It seems that chlorinated swimming pool water [splash or overflow] is the culprit.  It won't do any good to fill the cracks, as the owner had hoped.  It seems to me that the concrete is permanently damaged, now having a low pH, and subject to continued corrosion, even if kept dry.  The corrosion process will continue, probably whether or not the water source is brought under control.  Permanently intercepting swimming pool splash and overflow, and draining it away from the house and the site is important, and may slow the process, but a real fix seems to be a much more intrusive replacement project.

Have you found and dealt with this kind of problem?  My guess is that there are a lot of these conditions out there waiting to be found.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA
njineer(--nospam--at)att.net