From: Tripp Howard [mailto:tripphoward(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 3:32 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: ICBO Approvals - was why can't we get along

Gail,

I was just thinking the same thing.  I've never had to deal with any of
these ICBO reports here on the east coast.  I've often wondered if I have
been overlooking something that I should be concerned about.  Why are they
required in California?  Is this something I should be concerned about in
Georgia?

Tripp Howard, P.E.

GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
Out of curiousity, how many jurisdictions besides Calfornia require ICBO
approvals and on what materials?

I have not yet really figured out the worth of some of the ICBO ES reports.
For example, there are ICBO ES reports for monostrand post-tensioning
anchorages from three different manufacturers. Despite the fact the widgets
are identical 5x2-1/4 cast iron plates, they all specify different spacing
requirements and required stressing strengths. One lists a spacing
requirement (distance to the slab edge) that is guaranteed to fail the
anchorage. Another lists the wrong materials for the wedges.

Which leads me to question the value of the testing, as well as the
credibilty of the IBCO ES system.

Gail Kelley

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
* site at: http://www.seaint.org