RE: ICBO Approvals - was why can't we ge

In a message dated 6/26/2003 1:43:07 PM Eastern Standard Time, Roger Turk <73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com> writes:

>If you want to get a blank stare, ask any epoxy salesman how to identify a
>drill bit that conforms to ANSI B.????, yet, it is required in the evaluation
>report and throughout the company's catalog.

Maybe you didn't ask the salesman from the right company ;-)...
ANSI drill bit standard diameters and their deviations are listed in the latest  ANSI B212.15, and also in the IBCO Acceptance Criterias like AC 01.  Many complying drill bits have an ANSI stamp on the body.  For adhesive anchors, this requirement is more of just a carry over from the mechanical anchor standards ( ASTM E-488, ICBO ES AC 01) where drill bit diameter does matter.

Once upon a time, certain anchor manufacturers made their drill bits a slightly smaller diameter than the industry standard.  Then their friction type anchor fit in the hole tighter and got better pullout strengths (not to mention they sold alot of drill bits because you HAD to use that bit).  That seemed fine until Joe contractor put in a whole lot of anchors in with a regular drill bit .  Later comes a little shaker and they start pulling out all over the place.  oops... hence, we all have to use ANSI bits..

Howard Silverman, P.E.
www.covertoperationsinc.com
Signal Hill, CA