Re: Unusual precast wall panels

Nels,

This building was constructed in 1938, in Burbank. The voids are not grouted from what I can tell. We've not taken any sections apart and what I know is based on climbing through the attic, the underfloor area and using a pacometer. There does appear to be some grout at the door jambs, but there are also ribs at the jambs, so the observed grout may be no more than mortar used to finish face. There appears to be a mechanical attachment cast into the ribs so when they nestle together, the two faces are connected. I've only seen one side of this mechanical concoction, but it appears to be a stud with a very flat head, and I suspect that a slotted bracket slides over it.

The pacometer seems to indicate joint reinforcing at each face, both vert and horizontal, but it would have to consist of a heavy gage wire or thin pencil rods. The mechanical connections cast into the ribs appear to be at about 10 inch centers. and occur at the vertical joints only. It's the first of it's kind I've seen and I'd love to learn a bit more about it.

Steve P