RE: ICBO Approvals - was why can't we ge

Thanks for this information, Howard.

It's always the things that don't work that cause performance based
specifications to evolve into performance based specifications that perform.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Howard Silverman wrote:

. > In a message dated 6/26/2003 1:43:07 PM Eastern Standard Time, Roger Turk
. > <73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com> writes:

>If you want to get a blank stare, ask any epoxy salesman how to identify a
>drill bit that conforms to ANSI B.????, yet, it is required in the evaluation

>report and throughout the company's catalog.

. > Maybe you didn't ask the salesman from the right company ;-)...
. > ANSI drill bit standard diameters and their deviations are listed in the
. > latest  ANSI B212.15, and also in the IBCO Acceptance Criterias like AC
. > 01. Many complying drill bits have an ANSI stamp on the body.  For
. > adhesive anchors, this requirement is more of just a carry over from the
. > mechanical anchor standards ( ASTM E-488, ICBO ES AC 01) where drill bit
. > diameter does matter.

. > Once upon a time, certain anchor manufacturers made their drill bits a
. > slightly smaller diameter than the industry standard.  Then their friction
. > type anchor fit in the hole tighter and got better pullout strengths (not
. > to mention they sold alot of drill bits because you HAD to use that
. > bit).  That seemed fine until Joe contractor put in a whole lot of
. > anchors in with a regular drill bit . Later comes a little shaker and
. > they start pulling out all over the place.  oops... hence, we all have to
. > use ANSI bits..

. > Howard Silverman, P.E.
. > www.covertoperationsinc.com
. > Signal Hill, CA