Re: Unusual precast wall panels

Steve,

Fascinating.  There were a lot of innovative concrete block configurations
from the early 1900's that have shown up on my projects as ones-of-a-kind.
The one you've found is one of the most unusual.

It would have been very unusual, after the 1933 Long Beach Earthquake for a
wall to be built without reinforcing steel, so the joint reinforcing makes
sense.  Frank Lloyd Wright used shape-decorated concrete block units with
joint reinforcing.  His masonry walls are now nightmares because the joint
reinforcing around all those beautiful blocks had very little cover, and is
now corroding.  Do you see cracks at the joints that would indicate
corrosion?

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA