Re: Frank Lloyd Wright

In many respects Wright was a leader in American architecture, breaking
away from the more predominant neo-classic style practiced in his early
years.  Many of his buildings are still unique in style, the Prairie
style homes, Fallingwater, Imperial Palace Hotel, Johnson Wax Building,
and Guggenheim Museum to name a few.  Architecturally he did have his
problems.  Fallingwater has been the object of a restoration due to
under reinforced cantilevers. As Dave Evans mentioned, he refused to add
extra reinforcing.  However, the contractor, concerned about the problem
added reinforcing without telling Wright.  It was a good thing since
without it Fallingwater would have collapsed long before restoration was
needed.  The columns in the Johnson Wax Building were one of his
successes.  When told by reputable engineers that the tall slender
columns would never work, he had one built and tested.  It worked fine.
Unfortunately, the skylights that surround the tops of the columns
leaked from day one.  The available sealants at the time were never up
to the task.  In many cases he provided his own engineering, not
uncommon at the time, but his designs often used large double
cantilevers at corners, were under designed and sagged.  His attitude
towards both his clients and any consults was "I am the god-like
architect and I know best".

--
Forrest T. Braun, P.E.