Concrete anchorage (ACI 318-99 appendix D)

Jake Watson wrote:

"The other limitation I am seeing the crushing of the
concrete at the head. I currently am using the table
in the Note for ACI 318 published by PCA. Most of the
headed stud type anchors fail by crushing the concrete
near the head prior to yielding the anchor..."

Jake,
My rather vague understanding is that concrete (such
as that around and under the head of your stud) which
is confined by being within a much bigger mass of
concrete, actually fails, i.e. crumbles to powder, at
something like 8 fc'.  In your analysis, if you're
using fc', you may be way off.

Secondly, so what if the concrete crushes locally?
It's still there, it still can't move very much.

Is this failure state arrived at by calculation or by
testing?  If not by test, it may not be too
significant.

Mike Hemstad, P.E.
TKDA
St. Paul, Minnesota

P.S.  Welcome back to Harold Sprague!  It's been a
long time since you've participated--I hope you keep
coming back.