Re: The Wright legacy

>Their aircraft were amazing structures.  Efficiency of
>structural design was of utmost importance
I've seen the real thing. The really cool parts are things people don't
notice: the control system, which had confounded every other aviation
pioneer; the engine which they designed and built themselves because a
suitable engine wasn't available and the wind tunnel they built to
measure lift coefficients for the aircraft because existing data was
unreliable.

I might quibble with 'greatest minds of the twentieth century' but
there's no question that their engineering was stellar. They took a
step-by-step approach; they were painstaking and methodical with their
build-or-buy decisions and their testing program was careful and
definitive. Their sister Katharine also deserves a lot of credit for
taking over with adminstative and financial tasks that Wilbur and Orville
tended to neglect; running the bicycle shop and financing the airplane
development with her own money, helping W&O with the mathematics they
needed to understand aerodynamic theory; and handling business and PR
issues for the Wright Aeroplane Company. Katharine also helped design and
stitch the fabric covering for the first aircraft.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw