From: Jeff Chacon [mailto:mcchacon(--nospam--at)earthlink.net]
Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2003 3:32 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Hanging a wood stud wall from a metal deck?

Hello everybody,

I have a situation I've never encountered before.  We designed a steel building, and the roof is bar joists and 1.5B metal roof deck.  Well, now the architect has figured out that he can't slip his interior walls at the top, so he must slip them at the bottom.  I can't recall doing this before.  Is there a good way to hang the wood stud walls from the metal deck?  Well, not the metal deck: obviously, I'll need something structural to span between the bar joists for either parallel or perpendicular walls, but this is a "loft" and the underside of the deck and the joists will be exposed in the end product, so I'm thinking I'll build something into the top of the wall at the parallel condition.  Any good advice out there on this one?

Thanks,

Jeff Chacon
Structural Design Collaborative, LLC
Denver, CO