Technical Reviews

I found the web site for the Association of Professional Engineers and
Geoscientists of British Columbia (APEGBC) quite interesting. They have a
fairly detailed description of what they consider the minimum standard of
care for Structural Engineers and expect all licensed engineers in BC to
conform to their requirements and in general to their guidelines.

The guidelines state that all structural designs must be checked by a
qualified engineer other than the preparer, and the regulations require that
all designs governed by the building code must additionally undergo a
"conceptual review" by an experienced engineer not directly involved in the
design. And they have an auditing procedure to verify that firms are
complying with the requirements. This is a very aggressive - and very
impressive - approach to ensure quality in structural designs. I would be
interested in hearing from some BC structural engineers on how well this is
working - are owners willing to pay the necessary fees to accomplish these
goals? Have there been any problems with this approach?

I would like to see engineering organizations in the US develop more
guidelines relating to design checking and reviews. In my opinion, we do not
currently have adequate guidelines for quality assurance/quality control
(QA/QC) with respect to development of structural engineering projects.

William C. Sherman, PE
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311
Fax: 303-293-8236