From: THunt(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com [mailto:THunt(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2003 4:22 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Concrete Reinforcing Choices

Interesting stuff but one problem (at least around here) is that it is not
allowed in seismic applications and is not weldable.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

Directorengjw(--nospam--at)cs.com
06/26/2003 02:43 PM Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

Toseaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
cc
SubjectConcrete Reinforcing Choices

Someone recently asked about how to design with FRP materials.  If the issue
is corrosion, check out www.mmfxsteel.com.  Information on the web site and
in ICBO ER-5930 suggests design according to the UBC, ACI 318, and findings
in the Evaluation Report where a corrosion resistant alternative to ASTM
A615 Grade 75 is desired.  This design process may be more familiar to
practicing engineers, and field fabrication is possible.  There may be cost
benefits too.  I saw this material at the Structures Congress in Seattle,
and it looks promising.  Since my digest subscription to the list did not
come through last night, someone else may have suggested this already
without my seeing it.
HTH,
Jeff Wykoff
directorengjw(--nospam--at)cs.com