Steel Track Washers

Joe,

Is this a steel track for a metal stud wall and is it a shear wall?  Also, what type of attachment are you using.  For this type of application power driven pins are very common and the applicable ICBO report (such as for HILTI pins) may provide some backup information.  You may also find help at the Steel Stud Manufacturers Association and the Light Gage Steel Engineer's Association.  LGSEA has a technical document titled Powder-Actuated Fasteners in Cold-Formed Steel Construction.  AISI also has a document called Fasteners for Residential Steel Framing.  There are references to sections E3 and E4 of the AISI Specification.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

Jnapd(--nospam--at)aol.com

06/30/2003 02:47 PM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
cc
Subject
(no subject)

Good afternoon all:

I have a question regarding washers at the sill plate connection.

I fully understand the CBC 1806 about plate 2x2x3/16 plate washers  for wood sill plates.

I specified standard washers for a steel track sill plate and the inspector wants 2x2x3/16 plate washers.  Where in the code or the AISI can I find references for this ??

Joe Venuti

Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs,  CA