Re: (no subject)

The provisions for 2x2x3/16 plate washers are to prevent splitting of the sill plate, not likely for a steel stud wall.  The actual code provision is 1806.6.1, which is a sub-section of 1806.6 which specifically references wood plates or sills.

Rather than look for a code provision that does not exist in AISI or the UBC, why not simply point out the inspector's error and have the requirement waived.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2003 2:47 PM
Subject: (no subject)

Good afternoon all:

I have a question regarding washers at the sill plate connection.

I fully understand the CBC 1806 about plate 2x2x3/16 plate washers  for wood sill plates.

I specified standard washers for a steel track sill plate and the inspector wants 2x2x3/16 plate washers.  Where in the code or the AISI can I find references for this ??

Joe Venuti

Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs,  CA