Re: light extrior wall

John,

What you are describing is 'damage limiting construction'. Two industry standards that will help get you started and guide you are as follows.

NFPA 68 "Guide for Venting Deflagrations"

FMEC (Factory Mutual Engineering Corp.), Loss Prevention Data Section 1-44, "Damage Limiting Construction"

You probably should check with your client to find out which one of these will be recognized by their insurance carrier.

Walt Sawruk
Senior Consultant
ABS Consulting
Shillington, PA