RE: anchor bolts/ deck collapse

This porch collapse was in Lincoln Park, which is the most expensive
community in Chicago (and actually, among the most expensive residential
real estate between New York and San Francisco.)  Rents in Lincoln Park on
that street are typically about $3000/mo for such an apartment with 4
occupants.  The apt. was occupied by young urban professionals, some of them
just out of college.  The partygoers were mostly in their early to mid
twenties, some of them still in college, but many already graduated for some
time.  From what I have heard, it was a big, well-attended party, but not
out of control like a college kegger.  I think if anything it was shear
numbers that affected the structure, not any sort of destructive activity.

Many local accounts are blaming the ledger board attachment, which seems to
be a likely culprit.  One neighbor cited that the upper deck was swinging
like a pendulum prior to the accident.  City officials are blaming the
design load capacity, but another article this morning said that the deck
was supposedly designed for 100psf, which is a higher load capacity than I
would expect out of a residential porch.

The local police say that the debris was removed so promptly because it was
the primary access for the occupants of the 3 units and they had to get the
rebuilding started.  You never can tell with Chicago politics, though.

The permits have not yet been found, but they also have not found the
building owner either (as of this morning at least)

The "initial report" was a verbal, off the cuff comment by someone,
(possibly an engineer from the investigating firm WJE, but the official
never cited the true source) to the building official, which she re-stated
on a TV press conference as a verbal report.  From her comments it was
evident that the building official who delivered the press conference didn't
have a good understanding buildings and structural systems.  The comment has
been perpetuated and amplified through the media as a "report" ever since,
but I have never heard the report contain more than "it was structurally
sound".  I assume that this is simply political positioning.

This one hit home for me.  I've been watching it all pretty closely.

Chris